Sharing ideas and knowledge on teaching our kids some nearly-forgotten low and no tech lifeskills. Can yours do long division? Make a campfire? Mend a flat tyre on their bike? Grow tomatoes from seed? Replace a button? If it can't be done with the click of a mouse or the flick of a switch, you can find out how to do it here, and how to get your kids involved in some serious Low Tech Fun!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Knot happy, Jan!

Actually, I lie. I'm very happy. I just found the home of all things knot-related and then some. From basic multi-purpose to fishing, camping rescue, household, decorative and more uses for knots, this site has them all!




Animated Knots By Grog is an absolute gem of a reference source for the Humble Knot, and as he says, "Better to know a knot and need it not, than need a knot and not know it"!



The instructions are all very step-by-step and are actually animated. I think even I could follow them, and I'm not very good at that kind of thing. At all. No, really.




Here are just a few that took my fancy:


Figure 8 Knot - it just looks cool, and I'm sure it's terribly useful as well:












Round turn and two half hitches - I remember this one from sailing lessons at summer camp:











Child's swing - who doesn't love a swing?












Go and have some fun playing with rope!



Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment